Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hello...here I am!!!

Well, here I am...

Starting when I was a little girl, I kept a journal - for quite a while, it was a daily ritual. When I was in elementary school I wrote pretty regularly for short spurts and then left it alone for a while, but once I started junior high, this became a very important thing for me. I wrote every day - I couldn't go to sleep without at least writing a few sentences. (Embarassingly, but not surprisingly for those of you who know me, I also wrote down what I wore each day so as not to accidentally wear the same thing too many times in a row...) This lasted, for the most part, all the way through college and into my first job. At that point it became a morning ritual; a time to reflect on my hopes, fears, and the like before starting my day for real.

Then I met James, and my life was turned upside down - for the better, of course - but I started writing him letters and emails and my journalling became almost completely a thing of the past. I mention email...and of course, now, the internet and the computer have taken over this morning time.

Part of me thinks that is really sad. There was something to be said for the silence, the pen on the page, and dealing with my own thoughts and my own thoughts alone. But things change, and while I try to get back to my journal every so often, I don't know if it will ever be the same.

I guess that is what inspired me to try out this whole blogging thing. Typing seems like such a natural conduit for thoughts now, and maybe if I have this place to go, I might actually start recording my thoughts again. So, here goes...and I am going to try to keep this mine, even though I welcome you to view it. I don't pretend to think that my life and my thoughts are interesting enough to hold the attention of all sorts of people...and that is not why I am starting this. I do welcome thoughts...but they are not necessary...

Happy 2009, everyone. I pray we all have a good year.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogland. I really like it myself, both for keeping up with others and for keeping track of my own thoughts!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete