Sunday, January 4, 2009

Living "Alone"

James left for St. Peter this afternoon. He will be living there most days this semester, as he is doing a sabbatical replacement at Gustavus. It just makes no sense for him to drive back and forth every day - it would be such a waste of gas - and yet it is lonely not having him here.

He was gone for part of last semester as well, and we got through it. I think the weirdest thing, though, is that in order to adjust to him being gone, I have to re-create how I live my life. In order to not just walk around and miss him, I create my own structure and one that keeps me busy and sane. However, when he comes back, it almost becomes strange to re-incorporate togetherness into my schedule! Not strange "bad," but just strange.

I do tend to be a pretty solitary person, so in ways it is easier for me than I can imagine it is for others - but I also won't make the effort to surround myself with other people, so that means I am left to my own thoughts most of the time. Maybe that is okay...and maybe it will make me insane. I guess it remains to be seen. :) At least I have my kitties!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I do the same thing if Chris is gone for a while, then when he comes back it seems like my schedule is "off" even though it is back to the real normal. Good luck. I'm always willing to go to a movie or do something!

    ReplyDelete